Move to the Music

With my computer now in working order (thanks, Dean!), and after a nearly eight-month hiatus, I'm ready to update my Ipod -- especially my running mixes. And I know that oftentimes, a song you like while driving in the car doesn't necessarily translate into a good running song, or vice versa (Example? An elite marathoner in Runner's World recently said that his secret go-to song was Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough.") So, I'm looking for suggestions on good running songs -- your all-time favorites -- so I can steal them.

The more, the better. This girl has a lot of workout hours to go until September 9th, so be a sport and help me out! And for anyone leaving comments, this is a no-judging zone -- running musical selections know no boundaries of taste (see Michael Jackson example above). If a song works, it works...and I think all of us recognize that running music is not always a true reflection of someone's actual musical taste.

And in the spirit of fair play, here are some of my standards:

Nelly -- Ride Whit Me, In My Life

Jagged Edge -- Where da Party At?

Green Day -- Minority, Holiday, BasketCase

Ja Rule -- anything

Sean Paul -- anything

Shakira -- Hips Don't Lie

RHCP -- Snow, Parallel Universe, Otherside

Black Eyed Peas -- Hey Mama

The Who -- Teenage Wasteland

Fall Out Boy -- Sugar We're Going Down

O.A.R. -- Love and Memories

Hole -- Celebrity Skin (album)

The Killers -- Mr. Brightside, Somebody Told Me, When You Were Young

Posted by Erin 2:42 PM

2 Comments:

  1. patrick manion said...
    This blog is the best! You are so damn eloquent that I almost feel tired with you as I read. :) Keep up the GREAT work!!!

    Nothing better for a tired runner/biker (and swimmer as soon as they make waterproof headphones) than a new playlist!

    You know I often wonder if I listen to music when I run, or run when I listen to music? Not sure what this will do for you, but here for your listening pleasure is my Dallas Marathon Playlist (and the story behind it).

    Each training run started with either the Avett Brothers Live vol. 2 or Gnarls Barkley: St. Elsewhere to set the pace. If I was having an off day I would throw on a great mellow album, then check out of the run (pace be damned) and check in to the music. After 3 or 4 songs I usually forgot about how tired I was and was just pumped to be listening to great music. Any Sting, or Van Morrison, Bruce Hornsby: Live, Carbon Leaf: 5 Alive were great too. After my pace album I'd venture into playlists...

    The following is my final playlist for Dallas. It's the culmination of 4 months of training runs. It's the soundtrack to the best moments of my training. Nothing but positive thoughts here. Each song has a story, and each story motivated me through training. I also reached out to my family the week of the race to ask for their favorite songs. When those songs came on thoughts of that person motivated me. You'll see it's kind of an odd mix of songs, but it's the emotion of a song that motivates me, not the beat.

    Happy listening and keep up the Great work!

    Pace Albums:
    The Avett Brothers Live vol. 2
    Gnarls Barkley: St. Elsewhere

    "BIG FINISH!!"
    Dallas Marathon Playlist

    Full Avett Brothers Vol. 2

    Go-Go Gadget Gospel - Gnarls Barkley

    Smiley Faces - Gnarls Barkley

    Just a Thought - Gnarls Barkley

    Who Cares - Gnarls Barkley

    Long December - Counting Crows

    Alabama - Cross Canadian Ragweed

    Dust on the Bottle - David lee Murphy

    Optimistic Thought - Blues Traveler

    Dear Mama - 2 Pac

    Hey Mama - Kanye West

    Never Let me Down - Kanye West

    Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

    Elevation - U2

    Cabo Wabo - Van Halen

    Going to California - Led Zepplin

    Four Green Fields - Clancy Brothers

    Family Business - Kanye West

    Home - Michael Buble

    Texas on my Mind - Pat Green

    Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry

    Go Go Gadget Gospel - Gnarls Barkley

    November Blue - Avett Brothers

    Obvious Child - Paul Simon

    Rodeo - Garth Brooks

    Big Strong Man - Carbon Leaf

    I Got a Name - Jim Croce

    Southern Cross - CSNY

    Midnight Confessions - Grass Roots

    Play That Fool - Tina and the B Side Movement

    Does Anybody Really Know what Time it is - Chicago

    25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

    Matter of Time - Tina and the B Side Movement

    Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen

    Vertigo - U2

    California - Phantom Planet

    JUICY! - Biggie Smalls

    Sinner Man - Nina Simone

    Wave on Wave - Pat Green

    Calling Baton Rouge - Garth Brooks

    Kiss My Irish Ass - Great Big Sea

    Go-Go Gadget - Gnarls Barkley

    Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

    Lose Yourself - Eminem

    November Blues - Avett BRothers
    Unknown said...
    Erin,
    I totally agree that running music doesn't necessarily mirror ones usual musical choices. Here are some that help me along!
    Kelly

    White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan album
    The Percalator
    Maneater-Nelly Furtado
    Thunderstruck-ACDC
    Queens of the Stoneage-No One Knows
    Benny Bennassi-mostly techno dance stuff: all is good

Post a Comment