Hurts So Good

This week, I had what could potentially be the best massage of my entire life (which is, albeit, a really short list).

I was formerly of the opinion that all massages -- or masseuses -- were created equal. That a massage was sort of like pizza in the sense that even if it's bad it's still pretty good.

That was before I met Gregory.

He started off with my back, kneading and pressing his fingers under my shoulder blades, holding pressure points until, at one point, I felt my arm start to go numb. I reasoned, though, that it was my back, and my back is perpetually hurting me. There are a lot of problem areas to work with back there. A lot of tender spots to work out.

But then he moved onto my arms, and it honestly felt like he was massing down into my bone, and not in a feel-good, deep-massage type way. He let go and moved around the table. "Just one more arm to go," I told myself, not realizing what I was in for when he got to my legs.

As Gregory seemed to be trying to separate my shin and glute muscles from the bone, I clenched the table with both hands. I wondered if involuntarily contracting the muscles not being worked on and not being able to un-curl my toes out of discomfort was counter-productive to the idea of a massage in the first place.

Finally, mercifully, it was over. Gregory told me that my back actually opened up nicely, although my legs were a bit of a mess. "I'll really get into your calves next time and work them harder," he told me.

I gulped. And then I considered not making another appointment. Or possibly sedating myself for the next one. Because, for the love of all that is holy, I don't know that I've ever signed up for that kind of pain when it wasn't a medically-necessary procedure (Well, other than the Ironman itself. But since that's still a ways off in the future, this tops the list for now).

I walked out of my appointment feeling all wet-noodle-ish and sore. And that night at swimming, I found a little thumb-sized bruise on my thigh. I had been massaged to the point of bruising! That made me smile. I definitely got my money's worth, and the way I've felt since, my body is the better for it.

Posted by Erin 12:09 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment