Rx

So, just got back from (fingers crossed) my last one of these:

And my doctor, great guy that he is, had these pearls of wisdom to pass along. They seem common-sensical, but given how Ironman can totally screw with your common sense, I thought I'd share for any and all tapering in preparation for IM-Moo right now.

  1. You'll be sore after the race for days...or, perhaps, weeks. REST. Don't try to run or bike. Try not to swim. Just try to enjoy your newfound free time as best you can.
  2. Ice anywhere and everywhere it hurts -- not just the day of or day after, but for the next week.
  3. Stretch, stretch, stretch.

And one other interesting tip that I've finally gotten what is (I believe) a sufficient answer on: no Advil during the race unless you're absolutely positive you're well hydrated enough. "I would hate to see you in the ER the day after with bloody urine and kidney failure," he said.

Woah. Nothing like "bloody urine and kidney failure" to put the fear of god into you. Am rethinking the Advil plan...unless it's 65 degrees and partly cloudy, and I've been drinking my Gatorade and water like a champ.

Posted by Erin 1:24 PM

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Woah. Yeah, please don't die.
    Unknown said...
    Kidney failure = bad news. Listen to your doc and skip the Advil

Post a Comment