Fear, Part II

"Fear grows in darkness; if you think there's a bogeyman around, turn on the light." ~Dorothy Thompson

Since the last post on fear, I think I've turned on a few lights.

It started Thursday night at Master's. Since we don't get the whole pool until right at 8 o'clock on Thursdays and the few available lanes are often crowded with really good, really fast swimmers, I tend to hit the hot tub for a "warm-up," as do quite a few others. This was especially appropriate after a really hard (i.e. I was really tired) hour-long spin session right before, and I was using my hot tub time to stretch.

The coach came over, singled me out, and told me I should be in the pool. "I was stretching," I told him. He said that the purpose of a warm-up was to warm up. "I'm plenty warm," I said. He pointed to the pool.

This made me crabby. After last week's conversation -- the one where he insinuated that he wasn't at all worried about the other guy training for IM-Moo, but the jury was still out on me -- I wasn't all that keen on Master's. I wasn't all that keen on him. But slipping into the cool pool water felt good, and I told myself that in an hour I'd get to go home (even though I know practice is never an hour, and is usually closer to an hour and a half at least, it helps when I lie to me).

I was almost done with the warm-up set when I saw the coach staring down at me over the starting block. Oh, for the love! I thought. How could I have been messing something up on the warm-up!?

"Erin, what's your goal for the Ironman swim?" he asked.

I told him I'd just like to finish, maybe in under two hours.

He laughed.

Did he think two hours was overreaching? Was I that poor of a swimmer? "Well, maybe you could tell me. You're the professional here," I said.

A couple of years ago, he said he had a terrible swimmer attempt the Ironman. He thought she might not make it at all. She finished in 1:48.

"You're much, much stronger than that," he said. "Aim for under 1:30 at least."

I was floored, but ecstatic. He did have confidence in me! I wasn't in over my head!

One light, on.

Then, on Saturday, after putting it off for most of the morning, I decided to tackle the dreaded Ironman bike course again.

Driving out to Fitchburg/Verona, I was in a bit of denial about what I was going to do. I had loaded up on Clif shots and bars, salt tabs, etc. (not going to make that mistake twice), but I didn't even know if I had the map and directions with me. In all honesty, I think that deep down I was hoping I didn't, and then I could just pick a road and bike out to say, Dodgeville, or Monroe. The directions were right where I had left them, though -- in my console -- and I figured that I was now committed.

The initial ten to fifteen miles went a little faster than they had before, but they are miles filled with steep little hills, lots of turns, and lots of wind. I was not happy to be out there and seriously doubted if I'd be able to get this done.

But before I realized it, I was biking out of Mt. Horeb and onto County S. I found the turn on Witte Road that I had missed the last time. I was feeling good, on to the section of the course that I hadn't ever done -- new uncharted territory. And at the end of Witte Road was...nothing. Once again, no street sign where one should be. No sign within sight in either direction.

I called Chief of Stuff, but he was having his own bike dilemma -- trying to fit his bike into his back seat. Just then, I heard a car pull up behind me and ask if I needed help. I turned around to see some friends who had been out driving the course. They had stopped in Mt. Horeb to grab me a Gatorade, and pulled out the atlas so we could figure out what road Witte Rd. had teed into. Then, one of them, an Ironman veteran of 2005, showed me a couple more spots on the atlas where he would often get turned around that were still to come. They gave me their cell phone in case I needed any other assistance, and sent me on my way.

The rest of the route was largely uneventful. I was nervous about the Garfoot Road stretch -- I had heard about its famed "bitch hills" -- but found most of that road through to Cross Plains relatively easy going with some unbelievably fun/somewhat scary descents. This isn't to say that there weren't hills or they weren't tough going -- because the entire IM-Moo course is dotted with them -- but none stood out to me more than any others. There weren't any that brought me to my knees.

About 2/3 of the way in, the Chief of Stuff joined me for the last stretch. With him on his mountain bike/hybrid, it was a little slower going than the rest of the course (poor guy was pedaling as hard as he could, but a mountain bike/road bike match up just isn't fair), but I didn't let that bother me. This ride was all about just getting it done. Knowing the full course. Time in the bank. Confidence. Check.

Two lights, on.

And then today, in a meeting, I opened up a piece of Dove chocolate (I know this does nothing for the whole, "I want to be as light as possible on race day," thing [that currently doesn't seem to be catching on anyway], but sometimes Monday chocolate is a necessity) and the inside wrapper prophetically read, "You're allowed to do nothing."

Between this and the great email I got over the weekend, I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Got it. Three lights, on. Making progress.

Posted by Erin 8:40 AM

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Sometimes the Dove chocolates hit the nail on the head!

    Keep up the stellar work!
    The Schwenzen's said...
    Hi Erin, I am a friend of Mel's through high school, Jill. I wanted to tell you that Mel turned me on to your blog and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I look forward to seeing what you are doing and how you are doing. I want you to know that I am totally inspired by you. For me, riding my bike a mile is an accomplishment and running to the end of the block would leave me winded. Most days taking my daughter for a walk is as much exercise as I see. So, remember in those times when you think you are in over your head, you are so far ahead of most of us it isn't even funny. Know that you have people that don't even really know you pulling for you. Best of luck, I will continue to follow your story.
    Jill

Post a Comment