One With the Bike

Biking, lately, has been getting better, but it didn't start out as a love-fest (loved my bike, but not the actual spending of time on it). A friend of mine who recently bought a bike , partially because he was inspired by my initial bike love and partially because he was in need of finding an alternative to lots of running wrote yesterday to say he "still isn't sold on it."

Although I'm getting there, although there are whole rides or portions of rides where I think it's one of the most fun things in the world, there are still some drawbacks. It's expensive. It's a whole piece of machinery that you have to deal with and know how to fix if it derails on you -- or pay someone else to fix if you can't. You have to "share" the road with a good deal of people who a) don't agree, b) just don't want to, and c) don't. If you're doing it right (not holding back), and if you fall, bad things will surely happen to your body. And although it's damn good exercise, it doesn't make you long and lean like running does. In fact, I have several pairs of really great jeans that are straight-up unwearable right now because of the proportions my thighs have taken on. Less than fun, clearly, and somewhat frustrating when getting ready for the rare night out.

A two-time Ironman in my master's swim class told me not too long ago that eventually, you become "one" with your bike, and that's really when the fun starts. I am looking forward to that, but hope this isn't what she had in mind:

Posted by Erin 9:40 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment