39 Days

It seems like a lot, that number, but it's not.

Thirty-nine days from tomorrow, I will be at the starting line of IM-Moo, ready to embark on the last and most important leg of this journey called Ironman.

There's a lot to do between now and then...and then again, there isn't.

Only one more double-brick.

Only one more long (120 mile) ride.

Only one more 2.4 mile swim.

But the to-do list is growing: visualize, visualize, visualize. Make an appointment to get my bike checked out. Draft a general race day plan and a race day nutritional plan. Find a race shirt that's comfortable. Make sure I have a Plan B for race day wear, and for the race day in general. Get an aerobar water bottle. Put a new playlist on my Ipod so I don't lose my mind listening to the same stuff over and over again between now and September 9th. Make another appointment to get my hip shot-up.

I'm sure there's more, but it's just not coming to me at the moment.

I'm not sure if I'm in a particularly zen period, or if my mental/physical preparation is starting to pay off, but today, I'm looking forward to September 9th. Fear has been replaced by determination. Panic has been replaced by a healthy mix of apprehension and excitement. And exhaustion has been replaced by calm.

I've said it before throughout this process, but today, I mean it: if I had to do this race tomorrow, I would be ready.

So, below is a sampling of what's on my mind these days, just like most days. Instead of most days, though, I'm not dreading what is to come. Instead, I can't wait to experience all of this.

The swim start

The swim at Ironman Wisconsin

The last big hill of the course on Whalen Road. The paint says, "Last hill. Now Run! Amy, Tina"

T1, Monona Terrace

At the top of the Old Sauk Pass hill -- the meanest, nastiestest, make your HR shoot through the roof hill on the course, by my standards...although you'd never know it from this picture (credit to Richard Nelson)

As they say, "Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, brag for the rest of your life."

I will do this.

Posted by Erin 1:55 PM

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    You are such a cool, kick-ass woman.

    Not to mention a great writer.
    Unknown said...
    I just got goosebumps!! I am so excited for you!!
    Unknown said...
    Those are great pics - did you take them yourself?
    I must admit, I am getting IM fever myself. I've been saying we'd sign up for 09, but I am leaning more towards 08, then I have a whole year to decide whether or not I am truly as insane as that sounds to me now.
    Good luck to you! We will be there bright and early to do body marking so maybe we'l see ya there!
    Melanie said...
    Yes you will!
    qcmier said...
    Cool pics. Brings back memories for me. You've already been experiencing Ironman - ever since you signed up last September.
    Anonymous said...
    Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?



    my page: cheap health insurance plans

Post a Comment