Back in the Saddle

Last night, I managed to get a measly 2-hour bike in. That's about 1/4th of the workout time I was scheduled for the past three days, but I can't do anything about those lost hours, and at least it's something. Even better, I had fun out there.

It was actually the first time in six days that I had been on my bike. For some strange reason, I wasn't scheduled to bike at all last weekend -- only a long (2-mile) swim and run (13 miles) -- a very welcome reprieve. Now, some might say that at this stage in the game, that's a little long to be away from one's bike. And, to an extent, I agree. Three or four days might have been nice. Six is slightly excessive. Regardless, it was the first time in as long as I can remember that I was actually looking forward to spending a little QT with the blue machine. And that, I think, possibly counts for as much as getting in some of those miles. The mental part of this little game is huge, and my mental attitude toward biking needed a readjustment. Especially with the mega weekend I have scheduled, starting bright and early tomorrow.

Saturday I will be on my bike for 120 miles in 90 degree heat (with 60-70% humidity predicted), during which time I'll test out my Ironman nutrition plan, and after which I'll do an hour run-off. Then it's off to Green Bay, where I'll hopefully stay awake on the drive up and stay at my sister and brother-in-law's house overnight. Then I'll do the Oshkosh Triathlon (Olympic) -- once again, bright and early (grrrrr) -- on Sunday morning.

I'm dreading this a little. It's going to be waaaaay hard weekend and parts of it are really going to suck. So, in other words, perfect preparation for Ironman.

But I'm looking forward to Sunday afternoon, when, as I'm cozying up in my old room (I lived with Linds and Tommy for longer than they probably would've liked after grad school) for a nap, I think I'm going to feel really pleased with myself. At that point, it's one more tough weekend behind me, and only one more to go before the big day.

Posted by Erin 1:15 PM

3 Comments:

  1. RunBubbaRun said...
    Good luck out there tommorrow. I will be out there as well with the cows in Dairyland. If you see a guy wearing a IronMan Wisconsin cow shirt, say hi...

    Good luck with the Oly on sunday, I though I had a tough weekend.
    Team Brazo said...
    I know the feeling of "tired of the bike". I did my last 112 ride and then had a few days off (very much needed). I then rode an hour and a half through Pennisula State Park without a watch and without an odometer -- best ride I've ever had. Change the IronMan course to Pennisula State Park and I've got it made.

    Have fun on Saturday and Sunday -- sounds fun.

    Robert
    Unknown said...
    Yeah!! You are one tough lady! Keep it up!

Post a Comment