The Fourth Pillar

As if swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running a marathon isn't enough, there's an often-forgotten, fourth discipline in Ironman: nutrition.

I thought I had my nutrition down pat. After all, I know what I like, I know about how much I need to take in, and I know about when I need to do it. My coach, however, had me write up my nutrition plan for race day, and am I ever glad I did. It's a lot to think through sitting here nice and comfy and able-minded on my bed. It will be quite another thing, I'm sure, come race day with all of the emotions and fears and commotion. So, below is my plan, followed by the little cheat sheet she had me draw up to actually tape to my bike where I can see it that day.

I have a feeling this is all going to be indispensable. After all, as Chief of Stuff just said, "All of the double-bricks in the world aren't going to help if you screw up your nutrition that day."

Aptly put. And without further ado, here it is:

RACE DAY NUTRITION PLAN

4:00 a.m.

  • Whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and honey (200)
  • Gatorade Nutrition Shake (370)

5:00 - 5:30 a.m.

  • Grande cafĂ© mocha (330)
  • Sip water

6:30 a.m.

  • Sip Gatorade

7:00 a.m. Race starts.

7:00 – 8:45 a.m. Swim

9:00 a.m. Out of T1, start biking.

  • First 20-30 minutes: water only
  • 3-6 Clif Blocks or ½ Clif Bar at top of each hour
  • Chase with water
  • 3-6 Endurolytes on every x:30
  • 1 bottle of Gatorade per hour
  • Bonus: Combos in special needs bag (131 calories, 316mg sodium)
  • 3 Advil – then –Water only 30 minutes before T2 (about mile 105)

Advice to Remember:

  • "When your attitude about the race changes, take in some fuel." (Translation: Feeling sorry for yourself or angry at the wind is a sign of low blood sugar. Eat!)
  • "When you feel good, eat." (Translation: When you feel good during the race don’t hammer;, take advantage of this time to get more fuel onboard.

5:30 p.m. Out of T2, start running.

  • First two miles, just water.
  • Alternate oranges or Clif bar/blocks + water and Gatorade every aid station.
  • 3 Advil at ½ marathon point
  • Start sipping coke at mile 15-18. Continue through end of race.
  • One Endurolyte per hour.

Post-Race

  • No water immediately (and no caffeine or alcohol). Sports drink only.
  • Recovery shake or Protein Berry Workout smoothie from Jamba Juice.

Bike Postcard

0-1 hour Water and Gatorade

3 Endurolytes

1:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 1:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

2:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 2:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

3:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 3:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

4:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 4:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

5:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 5:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

6:00 hr. ½ Clif Bar or Clif Blocks 6:30 hr. 3-6 Endurolytes

7:00 hr. 3 ADVIL, Water only.

***1 bottle Gatorade/hour!***

There it is...full race weekend plan forthcoming.

Posted by Erin 8:49 PM

5 Comments:

  1. qcmier said...
    Glad you're planning this out now. Hope you have had some time to test it. Not sure what you have been using to date, but the Endurance Gatorade on the course has a good deal of electrolytes. I did not need to take a single electrolyte tablet during my race. You'll love the Combos at mile 58. And don't forget the chicken broth on the run.
    Anonymous said...
    That Chief of Stuff sounds very smart.
    Anne said...
    How do you carry all of that stuff with you on the bike/run? Sounds like a lot of bottles, etc!

    You've got this wrapped up Erin -- you're going to be great!
    Gorham said...
    Here's an alternative plan:
    Noon: Wake up from a long nights sleep.
    3 p.m.: Nibble on a patch of tasty grass.
    4:15 p.m.: Ponder for a moment the identity of "Gorham Jr." Nap.
    6 p.m.: Some vigorous "bahh"-ing
    6:30 p.m.: Collapse exhaustedly into another good night' sleep.
    There it is. Training GtG style. Peace.
    Joy | Love | Chaos said...
    How is it that I haven't found your site before???

    Love the nutrition plan. I heard some really scary stuff about taking any sort of Advil/Aleve/Aspirin during an IM distance...bad stuff like kidney damage and being pulled for problems with kidney functioning. I only found the info out after some research, because I was thinking about adding an NSAID in T2 to help prevent bad inflamation in my knees for the marathon. I'd be curious to hear your experience with it all.

    Great to find your site!

Post a Comment