14:41:41

That's the time it took me to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112, and run a marathon yesterday. I'm crazy happy today, and am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a) I really did this; b) I don't have to figure out how to fit a 3 to 4-hour workout tomorrow -- or ever again if I so choose; and c) that this thing I've been focused on and working toward for more than a year is, in fact, over.

So, for the time being, I'm just letting it all sink in.

At some point, I'll post a full race report. Until then, I want to say a simple, but deeply heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone who was out there with me yesterday -- in person and in spirit -- to those athletes that I covered the miles with, to my amazing amazing amazing support crew, to all those who sent emails and texts and good thoughts my way.

I might have been able to cover the distance on my own, but it never would have been as fulfilling or special a journey as all of you made it. For the entire day yesterday, I couldn't stop smiling (honestly, there were a few spectators who repeatedly referred to me as "The Smiling Girl" whenever I rode by) because my thoughts kept alternating between two things: 1) Oh my god, I'm doing an IRONMAN!; and 2) How did I happen into this amazing life?

At one point, I thought that everyone should have the chance to do this, just to see how incredible that kind of support feels. Then I realized that doing that much in one day was most idea's person of hell. Honestly, though, there are very few days in my life in which I've had so much fun -- really. And you are the reason why. I can only hope that yesterday was, for all of you, an iota of the fun that I had.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you...even though those words are not nearly enough.

Posted by Erin 3:43 PM

18 Comments:

  1. Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...
    Congrats!!!!

    I can't wait to have THAT feeling again ;-)
    Anonymous said...
    I have been silently reading your blog for some time. Simply put, your effort inspires me
    Triteacher said...
    Congratulations, Erin! I witnessed that smile firsthand when you were biking through Verona. (Remember me? The hyper woman on the sidelines yelling, "Go Erin! Go Erin! You look great!") It was a pleasure to be a part of your experience.

    Yes, get around to that full race report someday, K?
    Team Brazo said...
    Congrats!! It was nice seeing you on the course. I had so much fun that I didn't want it to end -- well, at least until about the 13 mile mark (run) -- then I was ready to be done!

    Enjoy your IronMan status -- I know I am (layed down the last bit of cash at the IronMan store today - time for the cash outlay to end).
    Brent Buckner said...
    Congratulations!

    Recover well.
    Jenny Davidson said...
    Yes, many congratulations, great work!
    Anne said...
    I was waiting all day for you to post something! Andrew and I watched you cross the finish line via live streaming video from Washington, and were struck by how happy you looked being swept away by the volunteers. Wish we could have been there in person -- but it was awesome to see it happen! Congrats Erin!
    bigmike600 said...
    Hope you don't stop blogging now. Maybe now you go and do another IM in another venue? CdA or Florida perhaps?
    RunBubbaRun said...
    Great job IronMan..

    It was great meeting you during the entire weekend, and how I picked you out on that hill I will never know..

    Great race time and you had great race. Congrats again
    The Schwenzen's said...
    Congrats! My husband and I checked your race status all day, we felt like we were there with you! We are thrilled for you! CONGRATS!
    Jill (mel's friend) and Mike
    Anonymous said...
    Congratulatons on becoming an
    Iron(wo)man Erin!! I saw you a few times on the course and you looked wonderful - all your hard work paid off! Is there another IM in your future???
    Anonymous said...
    Congrats Erin!
    I had a lot of fun chasing you along your route by car! I'm glad you enjoyed the experience. Next up -- G-dog's day in the ring. I'll be there in yellow with signs again cheering you on.
    Michelle said...
    Great job Erin. It was great to meet you. You bet, hopefully Racine or High Cliff can be on our plans for next year.
    xt4 said...
    You were awesome. That grin was brilliant, and I said to CoS - "'she's still smiling, and that's all you can ask for in the Ironman." I'm an official member of the fanclub fo' life -
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Smiling Girl,

    I'm so proud of you. Not only Sunday but the entire last year. You did the work every day and earned the title ironman.

    And that makes me smile.
    ShesAlwaysWrite said...
    Congratulations on your shiny new Ironman status! We were in the stands when you came through. It was really great to meet you and I'm so happy your day went well!
    Joy | Love | Chaos said...
    YEAH!!!

    YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!

    Congratulations, girl! I'm so very proud of how you did on Sunday!
    qcmier said...
    Congratulations Erin!!!

    You are an IRONMAN!!!

Post a Comment