Of Eggplants and Walruses

Below is an email from a friend who has been one of my greatest cheerleaders through this whole thing. So sweet and so damn funny all at the same time, it was just too good to be read only by my eyes, and contains some great sentiments for others toeing the line on Sunday. So read, and enjoy.

I was reading your blog post with that Beatles song "I am the walrus"going through my head; not sure why—I haven't heard that song in years. But that probably has something to do with the following thought that popped into my head while reading the section where you describe your doubts, experienced at past iron mans, about whether you could ever do one: "Erin must have thought she was the walrus."

So…that's a weird thought. You are nothing like a walrus. Walruses have no arms, for example. You have two. Your teeth are less obtrusive. But I think it is safe to say that walruses are ill equipped to complete triathlons. Yes, let's concede that they could do the swim (unless distracted by some yummy sea cucumber passing by below). But the bike would present challenges (no feet). So would the run (same problem).

That ain't you. It's funny to think of you doubting that you could do the Ironman. Not because the Ironman isn't a huge challenge. It's just that I can't imagine that anyone who knows you ever doubted that you could do it. Ridiculous! You're a pocket rocket! Sleek and sparky. Filled with rocket fuel!

Nah, no one had any doubt. And does it need to be said that what you have done already is an extraordinary accomplishment, that the days of training and suffering are the accomplishment, and that now you should be basking in the giddy glow of doing something a step past reasonable limits? I hope you can carry that giddy glow around with you, somewhere in your weary deep down, this weekend. That should be energy, hard earned, that doesn't go away.

Of course, in the end, races are stupid. Not the participating in them—the results. One does or doesn't do well, a lot of time, for stupid reasons. But in your training you've displayed grit, guts, and, maybe most of all, grace. That's victory, at least to my mind. Easy for me to say, I suppose. I'm more eggplant than athlete these days. But it's true.

So, I guess what I am saying is: I am the eggplant. You aren't the walrus. Goo goo ca choo. Go Erin! You've already won.

With supporters like this in my corner, I have indeed. Thanks...to all of you.

Posted by Erin 1:24 PM

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Good luck Erin - I'll be out there cheering you on #102!!
    Anonymous said...
    Eggplants are not only tasty, but funny

Post a Comment