Your Opinions Wanted

So, in my other life, I often moonlight as a writer, and I'm working on an article or two based on my Ironman experience.

For one article, I'm trying to pull together some basics of what people need to know/do to complete their first Ironman. And here's where all of you Ironmen and women out there come in. If you have a minute, please take a look at the list below and either elaborate on it, add to or subtract from it, and/or comment on the various pieces of the list.

And, if today's a particularly slow day at work, feel free to email me (or just leave a comment) an answer to the following question: "What do you know now that you wish you would've known (during training or the race itself) before you did your first Ironman?" (And if you also wouldn't mind adding your name, city or state of residence, Ironman completed -- state and year-- so I could potentially use your quote, if you're okay with that and all, that would be wonderful).

And if you're not a veteran, but an aspiring Ironman/woman? Feel free to let me know what YOU'D most like to know as you move forward toward that goal.

A big "thank you" to all of you in advance. And without further ado, here's my draft list so far:

  • Get moving . Start building a training base now. Seek out group swims through swim classes or masters classes, and rides and runs through local bike and running stores.
  • Register . Most Ironman races fill up in less than an hour, so know when registration opens. Competition just to register is as heated as the actual race.
  • Find a coach. From Ironman-specific programs to piecemeal approaches, there's one out there that's right for you and your pocketbook.
  • Suit up. Invest in solid equipment that fits. It need not be top-of-the-line, but everything from a bike to running shoes to a wetsuit should be custom-fitted to you.
  • Research. Read everything you can about triathlon and Ironman races. There are a host of great books, and scouring race reports from competitors' blogs provides a first-hand look at what went right, what went wrong, and what the experience was like overall.
  • Eat right. Nutrition is the fourth pillar of becoming an Ironman. Eating – and eating right –is essential. You have to fuel your body regularly and with the right stuff, and have a tried-and-true nutrition plan for race day.
  • Enlist support. Training for an Ironman is a huge undertaking – physically, emotionally, and mentally. Getting family and friends on board for the journey isn't only nice, it's crucial. Tell everyone. Your boss and coworkers will need to know. But don't hesitate to tell anyone else you can think of – spreading the word can boost your fan support.
  • Train. The hardest thing about Ironman isn't the race, it's the 12 months leading up to it. Prepare to spend weekends, mornings, lunch hours, or evenings training.
  • Enjoy . You are attempting something that only a fraction of the population would ever consider, and that itself is a success. As they say, "Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles, and brag for the rest of your life!"

Posted by Erin 3:04 PM

6 Comments:

  1. Team Brazo said...
    Hey Erin -- I'll e-mail you later regarding your "question to answer", but a quick possible addition to your list. Depending on your previous experience with tri's -- preparing for the cost is another area. I hadn't done any tri's before, so the cost was quite a bit (maybe in the +$6000 range??). I also spent the money needed to get it done -- meaning, I did not want to have a problem along the way that was caused by my "cheapness" in equipment, etc. -- so I spent much more money because of that.
    bigmike600 said...
    Good comment team brazo. That thing on cost is for sure going to affect some people. You need to build yourself up to IM distance as well and even half IM tris are over a hundred bucks in entry fees alone, not to mention most people need to pay to swim somewhere in the winter. The more you think about it, it really is expensive to train for IM.
    Erin said...
    Amen to both of those comments, Brazo and Mike! Even though I'm mostly recovered from IM, my finances still aren't...and likely won't be fore some time. Good add -- thank you!
    Anonymous said...
    Erin,
    Great post! Ok....here is my $.02...I tell everyone that I work with and asks me this one main thing:
    DO NOT eat anything during your long rides/runs/swims/bricks that you would not eat on race day. Train your stomach like you do your mind and body. Come race day your stomach is expecting this X bar, this X gel, this X energy drink, etc. I realize it is BORING, but it works. :)
    Jennifer Harrison
    W. Dundee, IL
    Ironman Hawaii 2004 - 1st IM (q-fied a 1/2 IM).
    www.jenharrison.com
    xt4 said...
    I'll just toss a small point of consideration into the costs-of-triathlon, which is that it's similar to any other sport out there - golfing, hunting, fishing, etc. While you can show up with just a pole and bobber, the really passionate will choose to spend their money where they enjoy it most. But to that point, I've always looked as triathlon as an investment. Some people spend $150 going to fine dinner and the theatre...I'll spend it for race entries. Some people spend $3000 on lounge chairs and a TV...I'll go for a bike. If I consider the health benefits of triathlon and the long-term positive effects to my wellness...it's easier to digest some of the costs involved. Which doesn't make it any cheaper, 'course, but might help me justify my new bike to my wife. Ahem.
    RunBubbaRun said...
    I think the most important thing is to have some kind of training plan, a plan from a coach, a book, pieces of different plans. I think they all work to get you to the finish line.

    I think if you work on your aerobic endurance for you 1st IM, you will do just fine. Remember you need to build a strong foundation to build a strong IM house..

    Well that is my 2 cents or is it 1 cents on the matter..

    Concerning cost, just don't keep track of it and it won't look as bad :).

Post a Comment