Where I've Been

Post-Ironman, I've been reading others' blogs in amazement. People signing up for next year -- IM-Moo and IM-Louisville -- for random mountain bike races, for marathons and half-marys. For pretty much anything that will take their entry money.

Me? There was a 10k I could've done this past weekend. Instead, I went to brunch. I cleaned my plate. Then I walked to Starbucks. Then I took a nap and cleaned my condo before heading out to ride my horse.

I've run exactly four times since IM. Actually, let's make that 3.5, as there was a lot of run-walking involved in one of those attempts. I've gone to the gym or to masters a total of zero times. And my bike is right where I left it the night of the 9th -- in my spare bedroom -- still outfitted with IM stickers and my aerobottle.

Other people are planning their race seasons for next year already. Some have even signed up -- as in sent in money...committed themselves -- for their B, C, and D races. This stresses me out in much the same way as if someone would suggest to me that I wake up at 5:30 a.m. to do a double-brick this Saturday, or give up chocolate and lates.

But why? It's not that I have no energy...or the desire, to do any of this.

I just. Need. A break.

And I knew I needed to take one when I went to spectate and cheer on Chief of Stuff (Whom, I might add, given how much he's trained, just killed that course) in the Green Bay Duathlon a week ago Sunday. I expected to get there in the morning and curse myself for not bringing my bike, taken in by the energy and competition. Hell, I considered bringing my bike just in case I couldn't resist the urge to compete. I needn't have worried. With hands wrapped around my Fourbucks late for warmth, watching wave after wave take off on the run, I had only one thought: "Thank god."

So, for now, I'm hibernating from the world of Ironman and triathlon and all things exercise-related. I'm drinking wine at Cafe Montmartre half-priced night. I'm spending time with the pooches and my pony, nearly every night. I'm making dinner and reading and catching up with friends whom I didn't see save for in passing nearly all last year. I'm doing some writing here and there. I'm watching trashy TV like Dancing with the Stars and Brothers and Sisters and Greys. And I'm trying not to feel guilty about not thinking or worrying about next season. Because, I'm afraid if I do, I'll be burnt out so badly by April that I might not even start it at all.

All of you in the throes of planning already, you have my admiration. I don't know how you do it, but more power to you. I'm just not cut from that cloth. Part of me worries that I should be. And then part of me thinks that I should stop worrying about such asinine things.

Ahhhh. The fun it is to be me.

But, in case anyone is still out there, I'm still here...and planning on continuing to post. Just on a brief sabbatical is all.

Posted by Erin 10:37 AM

5 Comments:

  1. xt4 said...
    Good to hear from you.

    No hurries, no worries. Rest up, relax, enjoy life - and certainly, don't feel guilty about anything. Just enjoy each day, whatever it is. That is, after all, the whole point.
    Pharmie said...
    No rush back. You'll know when it's time, and it might not be for a while yet. In my experience, forcing yourself to come back too soon just leads to early burnout. In the meantime, just enjoy LIFE!!
    teekayes1 said...
    Just don't forget to smile :)
    RunBubbaRun said...
    Maybe you are the smart one and taking a long break, while the rest of us try to reach "burnout" again somehow..

    Have fun in your hibernation, tis the season, see ya on the flip side.
    Team Brazo said...
    After seeing and reading about your IronMan Wisconsin training plan (many, many hours each week) -- I think you (your body at least) more than deserve a break.

    Enjoy your extended taper...

Post a Comment