Get Your Ass on That Bike

That's what I had to tell myself last night when about the last thing I wanted to do in the whole world was workout.

Surprisingly enough, it worked.

Often, I can get myself out for a run at almost any time, in almost any weather because I really, truly love to run. It's therapeutic and relaxing and energizing. But I've been having serious problems with motivating myself to workout lately for three main reasons: One, I've been really busy lately and, as a result, really tired. Two, I'm having to swim and bike more and more, which I like doing far less than running (see above). And three, I'm having to dedicate increasingly larger chunks of time to working out, which -- when combined with work, extra-curricular meetings, and horse and dog that need exercise -- gets overwhelming at times.

I have little tricks that I use to get myself out for a run -- telling myself I only have to run two miles (I almost always end up going longer), putting on my running clothes to take the wonder dog for a walk...just in case I want to do some hill sprints or intervals (half-way through the gear-up process, I almost always end up gearing myself up mentally to run as well), downloading new music onto my ipod that I won't let myself listen to until I'm out running, or treating myself to a new anything (hat, gloves, shoes, flavor of GU) that I want to try out. These tricks work almost without fail.

I'm still in search of good tricks for talking myself into a pool or bike workout, and I'm open to suggestions.

Until then, I'm just going to have to keep talking sternly to myself.

Posted by Erin 8:48 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment